Writing a business blog is more than simply putting pen to paper. Content marketing is a firm priority for almost all types of business right now. Knowing what to write in a business blog is key if you want to stand out online, boost your engagement, be found by new customers, and see a positive ROI for your company marketing initiatives.
In this post, I am going to help you decide what to write in your company blog and offer you some useful tips and tricks to help you create your own editorial calendar of content for future publication.
It all starts with a plan.
On average, a blog writer spends roughly 4-hours writing a single blog. Back in 2016, this was 2.5 hours. As content marketing becomes more mainstream, and Google places a greater emphasis on authentic content that delivers value, businesses need to invest more time into content production.
After receiving lots of requests from people asking for a copy of my own blog topic planning tools, I will be creating a free content planning template shortly.
Make sure you subscribe to the bottom of the blog to get a copy of this when it’s done.
A company blog is a means of communication with people outside a business. It is designed to help keep people updated with relevant information that they may find useful.
Blogging articles are released periodically, usually via the website, and then shared via other social media outlets, newsletters, and emailed out to those who have subscribed to receive updates.
- Customer success stories
- Business articles that are of interest to your customers
- Company updates – new staff, new products, or new services
- FAQs from customer support queries
- Industry updates
The most challenging aspect of writing business articles is knowing what your customers are going to be interested in. The chances are, if they’re a customer or a potential customer, they want to solve a specific problem or achieve a certain goal. This was probably their intent when they came onto your website in the first place. Good SEO Copywriting will speak to the needs of your audience and provide answers to their questions or offer solutions to their problems.
A blog topic planning service is a quick and easy way to get expert assistance from a content strategist. Typically, when reviewing what you should write about in a business blog, they will undertake a deep analysis of the web on your behalf.
A good blog content strategy will account for the following points of research.
- Understanding your business, along with the products and services you provide.
- Looking at your typical customer demographics
- Establishing the ‘pain points’ or ‘needs’ of your customers
- Find out what questions people are asking search engines about the products or services you provide
- Reviewing competitor sites to see which keywords and search terms are driving traffic to their website
- Reviewing your industry to see trending topics
- Analysing the keywords on your website
- Creation of a list of potential topics that align with the themes of your business
- Presentation of an editorial calendar or content plan that demonstrates clearly the topics you should write about in your blog, and their interrelation with your products and services
While this is simply a snap-shot overview of the process we undertake when providing a blog topic planning service for our clients, it demonstrates the level of detail we go into when undertaking this task. Writing business articles shouldn’t be about self-promotion or the promotion of your products and services. Customers can tell when they’re being sold to, whether you do this subtly or not.
If you truly value your customers, you will seek to provide value to them by offering relevant content that helps them learn something new or understand a problem they’re looking to resolve in a clear way.
In summary, when you consider what to write about in your blog, it’s important to do the research, make a plan, and use a blend of different business article types to ensure you offer value and variety. After you’ve been writing a company blog for some time, always make sure you review the analytics you have at your disposal, whether they’re part of your email marketing solutions or your google website analytics.
Plan – Do – Review.
In the next section, I will share a few best practices for business blogging that I’ve picked up over the years.
There are many approaches to writing business articles. Here is our practice blogging guidelines created by the top-performing copywriting professionals in our team.
- Always do thorough research before you start writing
- Make sure you have a strategy for your blog – a simple editorial calendar will suffice
- Know your audience, and write content that speaks to their needs
- Pick a focus keyword for each blog you write
- Add internal links to other pages and posts on your website
- Always add a subscribe button to your blog pages
- Make sure you publish and credit the author who wrote the article
- Include Call to Actions at the end of each blog
- Format the headings and subheadings with the correct H1, H2, H3 attributes
- Include relevant, unique images in your blog articles
- Make sure no single section of text is longer than 300 words
- Make sure you double-check your spelling and grammar
- Add a blog section to your website
- Gather focus keywords for your website
- Create a topic plan or editorial calendar
- Choose what type of blog-style you want to use
- Outline a framework for each blog – what headings and keywords will be used for each post
- Research the topic, find relevant sources from trustworthy sources
- Write the blog
- Editing and proofreading
- Make sure the format is optimized for SEO – use CTAs, H1/H2 attributes, and cite sources
- Post your blog
- Promote your blog
This is a very high-level overview of the steps you need to take to write a business article. We’ve written an article that provides a step-by-step guide for you to follow.
If you’re considering outsourced blog writing, then you may find another post useful.
There are many reasons why you should write a company blog. Aside from it being great for your customers and SEO, it can help boost engagement and give you a better return on investment from your website.
Here are just some of the reasons why business blogging is worth the investment.
- Better rankings and enhanced SEO
- Get More Traffic to your Website
- Low-Cost Lead Generation
- Builds Trust and Credibility
- Increase Engagement
- Use More Relevant Keywords on Your Site
- Content can be Easily Shared on Social Media
- Gives your Brand a Voice
- Build a List of Subscribers
- Improve the ROI of a Website
If you’re still unsure about whether or not blogging is right for you, we’ve written a more in-depth post on the topic for you to get some further insights into the value of a company blog.
Blog Articles – In Conclusion
There’s no secret formula for achieving success with writing business articles for your blog. The key is to write consistently and always remember your audience. You want to make sure that people who visit the site find the content relevant, interesting, and of value. If they come to the website with questions, good website content writing will know how to address their needs and give them all the information they need to satisfy their questions.
Hiring a content strategist to help you find topics for your blog is a great way to get started. They’ll do the research for you, find the best themes to write about, and they’ll make sure the blogs topics clearly address the needs of your customers and prospects.
When you consider most business articles are evergreen content; in that, they will not ‘expire’ in the same way an advertising campaign will. This is content that will remain on your site, generating interest and boosting visibility for years to come. This is why so many businesses are investing their time and marketing budget into content marketing activities and writing business articles that directly speak to your customers and their questions.
Further reading – If you want to read more about how to write content that ranks, take a look at our comprehensive guide to SEO copywriting.
Finally, if you need to convince others why investing in content marketing is a good idea, or you haven’t updated your content in a while, this post outlines why a content refresh is a great idea.
Discover what Cleverpen Content has to offer you
CleverPen Content is a copywriting agency based in Cheshire, England. The 21-strong team of content marketers boasts some incredibly talented business blog writers from around the globe. Our content research team ensures we produce the best content there is. We write website content, blogs, content for brochures, product descriptions, and more. Over the years, we’ve earned an impeccable reputation, an impressive client list, and we’re proud to have many of our clients working with us on a regular pay-monthly basis.
If you want to hear more copywriting tips and guidance, please add your details to the form below.